Author Topic: API Forum Management  (Read 10174 times)

mistersparky

• EFRON
  • Administrator
  • Terrible CEO
API Forum Management
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »
Hello there everyone,

Over the last few weeks, we have been investigating the possibilities for making more use out of the new Eve custom API system, here on the forums and otherwise. You can find further details on these discussions here - http://eve.estrale.com/index.php?topic=3729.0.

We are now ready to move forward on this. Over the next few days, we are going to start using API credentials to manage access to the EFRON forums. In turn, we are requesting that all players add API details to their profile page. Doing so is very simple, and only requires very limited information regarding your character.

To create an API key for this, please visit the official Eve Online website here - https://support.eveonline.com/api/Key/Index. You will need to create a new API key, assuming you don't have an existing one you are able to use. We currently believe that no extra options are needed for this API key (ie, you don't need to tick any of the boxes!). Once you have an appropriate key, you can then enter the ID and verification code into the forums. This can either be done during the registration process, or for existing members via the Temars Eve API section of your forum profile.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

First of all, it looks like simple API keys with no extra information will suffice for our requirements. Second of all, over the next week we are going to move across to using customizable API keys to manage all user accounts on the forums. In turn, we are requesting two things:

- Any new members registering on the forums to include a customizable API key to get access to the relevant areas of the forums.
 - Any existing members to update their forum profile to include a customizable API key (if they have not done so already) by Sunday the 11th of December.

FURTHER UPDATE

The forum mod is now active. Access to any Eve related board, alliance or otherwise, is now fully controlled by API keys. This applies to both new registrations and existing members.

If you can no longer see boards you think you should be able to see, please see the instructions above about entering API key details into your profile, then drop me (mistersparky) a line in game.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:10:42 PM by mistersparky »

Belendeuth

• Corp - EFRON
  • 1000+ posts can't all be wrong!
Re: API Forum Management
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:39:28 PM »
Why do you need access to my CharacterSheet, that's private information? I can see Temar's API can fetch data about the implants in my head and the balance of my wallet, but I don't see why we'd need that info to verify I can have access to the forum or TS3.

Are you sure you haven't taken the (fairly lean) documentation on the API a bit to literally?

I did add my API and granted access to the public info, no harm there.

If there are technical reasons (i.e. the API insists on it) it can be modified to not do that. I had a look and it doesn't look that complicated.

mistersparky

• EFRON
  • Administrator
  • Terrible CEO
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
Why do you need access to my CharacterSheet, that's private information? I can see Temar's API can fetch data about the implants in my head and the balance of my wallet, but I don't see why we'd need that info to verify I can have access to the forum or TS3.

Are you sure you haven't taken the (fairly lean) documentation on the API a bit to literally?

I did add my API and granted access to the public info, no harm there.

If there are technical reasons (i.e. the API insists on it) it can be modified to not do that. I had a look and it doesn't look that complicated.
I can understand the need for FactWarStatus, as this can define someoneís faction warfare allegiance. However, you are right in that CharacterSheet isnít necessary to simply identify a player. The Temars mod is pretty good, but it still needs some polishing up, and the documentation on it is pretty much non-existent. It does however mention in a couple of places that this is required. Bel, could you confirm that your CharacterSheet information was not included as part of the API key you entered into your profile? Either way, your character has obviously been identified. It will be interesting to see if your membership is properly handled by any of the rules we create with the mod.

In all of this, our one and only concern is the ability to identify players in a secure and unique manner. The less information a player requires to do so, the better.

Belendeuth

• Corp - EFRON
  • 1000+ posts can't all be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
Bel, could you confirm that your CharacterSheet information was not included as part of the API key you entered into your profile?
I can confirm I only allowed access to the public information, specifically CharacterInfo and and FacWarStats.

Fykes

• Slag
  • EFRON
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
Bel, could you confirm that your CharacterSheet information was not included as part of the API key you entered into your profile?
I can confirm I only allowed access to the public information, specifically CharacterInfo and and FacWarStats.

I've added one with the same access and it appears to work for me as well.  also the corp display format looks silly with the -LIO- ticker ("Corp - -LIO-") <.<

Firedawn

• [-LIO-] Firedawn
  • you actually read this stuff?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »

I've added one with the same access and it appears to work for me as well.  also the corp display format looks silly with the -LIO- ticker ("Corp - -LIO-") <.<
this, although it doesnt say "Corp -" for me

Aargolos

• Corp - EFRON
  • EFRON Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »
Keegan's says Corp - -LIO-

FD, yours says [-LIO-] Firedawn

For some odd reason, sparky's doesn't say "Terrible CEO", so go figure.

BattlestormTitan

• BattlestormTitan
  • EFRON
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
It does now lol

mistersparky

• EFRON
  • Administrator
  • Terrible CEO
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
I have been changing the settings over the last few days, and it looks like it takes whatever settings were in place when a particular member registers. There are a few "reset" options, but I am going to leave these for another few days until more people have API details registered.

Aargolos

• Corp - EFRON
  • EFRON Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:26:37 PM »

mistersparky

• EFRON
  • Administrator
  • Terrible CEO
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE.

First of all, it looks like simple API keys with no extra information will suffice for our requirements. Second of all, over the next week we are going to move across to using customizable API keys to manage all user accounts on the forums. In turn, we are requesting two things:

- Any new members registering on the forums to include a customizable API key to get access to the relevant areas of the forums.
 - Any existing members to update their forum profile to include a customizable API key (if they have not done so already) by Sunday the 11th of December.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any question or problems.

Fykes

• Slag
  • EFRON
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
going to repost here so sparky doesn't forget to check into this:

if there any screening via api?  in other words if Keegan joins an corp/alliance you guys aren't found of, and I've registered with his api, will i lose access to the forums?

mistersparky

• EFRON
  • Administrator
  • Terrible CEO
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
going to repost here so sparky doesn't forget to check into this:

if there any screening via api?  in other words if Keegan joins an corp/alliance you guys aren't found of, and I've registered with his api, will i lose access to the forums?
Not formally, no. However, if we see that one of your alts has joined a particularly unpalatable corporation, or even worse something bizarre like a corporation we are at war with, then the chances are strong that your forum access will be limited. However, it's also worth pointing out that members are able to use character keys instead of account keys, that would prevent us from seeing what other characters you have on your account regardless.

Fykes

• Slag
  • EFRON
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »
well i did use a character key......

* Keegan hides the TEARS alt in the darkest corner he can find

Darkdood

• Corp - EFRON
  • EFRON
  • I lag therefor I am.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »
IMPORTANT UPDATE.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any question or problems.

I'm trying to explain to a new member how to sign up and use an API key and I'm finding this confusing. So you check none of the boxes and create a key with nothing? Bottom line be more clear about what exactly they should do to create their API keys. Please...:)